September 22, 2010

BB's Birth Story: Part 7

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

BB was born 11:30 PM, July 10th.
When he emerged blue and limp, the cord was immediately cut and he was whisked away to the warming table. I was confused why they didn't let DH cut the cord and I wondered why they were taking my baby away. Everything felt like I was watching it happen, like I wasn't really there. BB had an initial Apgar score of 1, and the medical staff moved him to the NICU. I sat there staring at the door the medical personnel had just whisked my baby out of and I had the thought that I was now going to die. Not completely because of BB's condition, but because after all that transpired, I felt like I was going to die.
The doctor reached inside me and pulled out my placenta, which freaked me out so much that I snapped back to reality. I had no idea that anyone ever did such a thing. To this day, I don't know why he did that. I would have preferred to deliver it naturally. The doctor started sewing me up. I had a level 3 tear, so I required a number of stitches.
The hospital staff that had been working on BB returned with him, pink and crying. With his Apgar up to 8, BB was placed on the scale to weigh. The doctor told us that BB was a "Sumo Baby" and he asked how big we thought he was. I knew that the doctor had told me I would have trouble with anything over 8 pounds, so I guessed his weight to be 8 pounds, 8 ounces. DH guessed 9 pounds. When they turned the scale on, BB weighed 10 lbs, 5.2 ounces, and measured 22 1/2" long. Once I knew how big he was, I felt better about the trouble I had pushing him out.
After BB was weighed and measured, he was handed to DH. BB didn't have a big cry, but rather a small mewing cry that was constant. Given his rough entrance, you can't really blame him. DH held him next to me, and when I spoke to him, he stopped crying and looked at me. I tried to nurse for a few minutes, but BB wasn't interested. So I handed him back to DH and he and the other family members took turns holding him and taking pictures of him.

The End

4 comments:

  1. That's a big baby!! My first two were over 9 pounds, but a 10 pound baby is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an intense birth story ! So sad that you had medical staff like that :( But you got a big bouncy baby boy in the end:)
    My first baby was 2 weeks late, supposed to be all natural at home and after 26 hours (all together a 30 hr labor)I said take me to the hospital and give me the drugs lol:) but it was dissapointing to not have it the way i planned.
    Hope your next one goes exactly the way you want it :)♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what a story! He's gorgeous - what a massive baby!! I want to kick your hospital staff, that awful nurse and the dr who ripped out your placenta...ouch!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com