February 4, 2009

S'FMtY: All for a Badge

When I was in first through sixth grade, I faithfully attended G.A.s at my church. G.A. stands for Girls in Action, and I believe it is limited to the Baptist denomination. I don't know what the real purpose of G.A.s was supposed to be, but it seemed to exist to inform young girls about missions and mission work. Perhaps it was supposed to be a junior WMU?
When I was in G.A.s, we all had a red and yellow sash with the G.A. emblem on it. We could complete projects and workbooks in order to receive badges to put onto the sash. Similar to the Girl Scouts, but not as fun. For one of my projects, I had to learn about a custom from another country and then re-enact the custom for the other G.A.s. I happened to remember that a friend in school had an authentic kimono from Okinawa, so I opted to learn a Japanese tea ceremony. You know me - any excuse to dress up!
It took a while to figure out how to get into the outfit. I am in 4th grade in this picture, and you can see that the outfit is just a little too long for me, but not too much! I don't remember a thing about the tea ceremony except that I was terrified that I'd spill some tea on the outfit. I didn't - and I sure hated to give the outfit back!
For more wacky pics, check out We are THAT Family!

13 comments:

  1. I love your picture. I've always tried to get my daughter to wear an obi but she won't. How DARE she have her own ways of thinking - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun experience ... you look darling in that giant outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had G.A.'s also, but I was a rebel and would always find away to sneak out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look like your wearing one of those halloween costumes, you know the sumo wrestlers that are kind of pumped up with air. You are SOOO tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have wanted to wear the kimono too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in GA's too. What a great outfit and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in GA's too. You look so adorable in that kimono!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I wasn't in GA's, but you look adorable in that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That outfit is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually posted a while ago about how LAME my time in Brownies was...you didn't miss much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool!

    Oh, and that SB you made for your sister is fantastic - she's very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were so cute in that outfit! How fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com