The BB edition:
1. BB has recently started to understand the concept of time, as in today, yesterday, etc. We were in Hobby Lobby recently when he began to campaign for a bath.
"Wanna bath, Mommy. Take a bath."
"No, not right now."
"BB, we're in a store. There's no place to take a bath."
...long pause, then very slowly and loudly:
"I. WANT. TO. TAKE. A. BATH. THIS. WEEK!"
This of course caused all old ladies in the fabric department to turn around and glare at me. Quickly thinking, I gave my response:
"I'm sorry, sweetie. Maybe next week."
2. BB has learned? inherited? my love for Dunkin Donuts. Before trying to eat healthier, I would get DD once or twice a week. We haven't had any doughnuts at all for several weeks now, which has greatly concerned BB. He is very quick to point out DD when we drive by, and he frequently suggests that we go there. He was in his room for a nap and was talking to himself:
"Grandpa at work. Grandma at work. Mommy at work. Daddy at work. (quick intake of breath heard) Daddy at work for THE DOUGHNUTS!!!!"
Yes, dear. You've figured it out. Daddy does get paid in doughnuts. Good thing today's payday :)
3. BB was looking through Goodnight Moon, talking to himself about the pictures.
"There's a Mommy brush. There's a Mommy bowl. There's a Mommy over the moon..."
I will pause here to say that the picture he was looking at was of a cow. As in, the cow jumped over the moon. Sigh. Good thing I'm eating healthier, I suppose.
4. BB loves to watch my Schoolhouse Rock DVD. His favorite song is Gravity. He sings it throughout the day. In true toddler fashion, however, he sings it as a mondegreen:
"Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, fourrrrteeeeennnn...."
the correct version is "Down, down, down, down, grav-i-tyyyy..."
5. My dad always knocks "Shave and a haircut" when he comes over. BB was down for a nap (much against his will) and started knocking "Shave and a haircut" on his bedroom door, calling out, "Mommy! Mommy! It's Grandpa! Open the door!" I wonder if he really thought that knocking like Grandpa would make Grandpa appear?
6. We had a hard time getting BB to say please when he wants something. Telling him to say please only resulted in him replying "okay." We finally got him to say please by getting him to parrot words to us and then slipping in please ____. I thought it was pretty clever at the time, but now he asks: "Mommy, want O's. Cat, dog, please?"
7. Most of the things that BB misunderstands are typical of a toddler. However, I must wonder if some of it is just hereditary. I overheard DH telling BB that two things went together like peas and corn.