February 10, 2009

My Hubby


DH is often referenced on this blog, but typically it is just in passing. Most of my people postings are about BB, but let's face it - he wouldn't be here without DH! ;) In honor of Valentine's Day this upcoming weekend, I thought I'd fill you in a bit about DH.
Many of you know that DH and I met in a college Biology class, where DH was my lab partner. I was a sophomore, he was a freshman. He had just graduated from homeschooling, had never been to a regular school, and was from a tiny, tiny town near the college we attended. He was so different from the other guys I knew. It's true what they say about opposites attracting...
We started dating September 11, 2000. I knew that I was going to marry him the first time he kissed me. I hoped and hoped that he would propose that first Christmas. He waited instead to propose August 11, 2001. He originally planned to propose on our one-year anniversary, but thank God he didn't! Before he proposed, I had a dream about how he was going to propose and I even told him about the dream. He was very surprised, but he kept to his original plans of proposing in the Biology room where we met.
We married the following June, between my junior and senior year of college. Since I was a year ahead of DH in school, I kept going to college while he took a year off. He worked for slightly more than minimum wage at a hardware store. I don't ever remember hearing him complain a single time about working while I went to school. I graduated in 2003, and taught for 3 years while he finished up college.
DH is a software engineer for a large company. This is not his dream job. He ideally would like to work for a video game company. However, he has chosen to work a job that provides security instead. His job is demanding; it is not uncommon for him to work 50+ hours a week.
DH is very artistic. He can draw almost anything he sees. Most of my projects (okay, ALL of my projects - except scrap booking) involve me telling him what I'd like done. He uses this artistic ability and his programming know-how to work on a computer game in what little free time he has. He has been working on the game for several years, drawing the images, scanning them into the computer, and programming the character's movements. He is going for an old-school fight game, the kind that were in many arcades in the 80's and 90's.
In addition to drawing and video games, DH reads a fair amount. He reads non-fiction almost exclusively. Most of what he reads is over my head. I prefer my books to be fiction that don't require me to think. DH also plays guitar, although not very much since BB's arrival. He has written some music and has recorded some on the computer. With the exception of talking to people we know who play guitar, DH is self-taught. He has never had a formal lesson. Yet he knows way more about chords and key progressions than I do with all of my years of piano.
DH often goes to work after BB wakes up. 98% of the time, DH is the one to get BB changed and with his "chocalit milk and a Fintstone!" each morning. It is not unusual for DH to go back to work once BB is down for the evening. He could simply stay at work later each day, and have the evening to himself for free time. However, that would mean that he would rarely see BB, so he chooses to come home for a while. Nearly every night when DH comes home from work, he and BB play pillows. This is what they call their wrestling game on our bed amidst all of the pillows. BB loves it, and looks forward to DH coming home each evening. DH and BB frequently go on "SuperCoolDudes" outings - no mommies allowed. They will go to the "tractor store" (Lowe's), or the "train store" (Books-a-Million) for an hour or so, leaving me with some peace and quiet.
I have referenced my deep abiding love for Dunkin Donuts before. BB shares that sentiment with me. Prior to my decision to live healthier (aka diet), DH indulged us with coffee (for me) and doughnuts (for both of us) from DD 1-2 times a week. He would also frequently surprise me with a little treat from the store, or would make a run to the store if I wanted something particular. This started when I was pregnant with BB, and somehow the lovely practice never stopped.
DH and I have very different tastes in music and movies. I won't begin to lists the bands that he likes, because you won't have heard of them. DH prefers music that is complex; I prefer my music to have meaningful lyrics with a catchy tune. For movies, DH likes old cheesy movies, such as "Plan B from Outer Space," the Godzilla movies, and science fiction. He does like regular movies also, but he seems to be more enthusiastic about the cheesy corny films. If you've ever watched "Mystery Science Theater 3000," you've undoubtedly seen some of the movies that DH likes. I must admit that some of those movies are so poorly done that their awfulness makes them enjoyable.
DH is a devoted father and husband. He makes sure everyday that BB and I know we are loved. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else. Happy (early) Valentine's Day, DH!

18 comments:

  1. I also hear that he knows how to build a mad bonfire!

    That was really sweet, Heather. Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That was so great! Tractor store outings and everything. What a sweet fellow you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather it sounds like you have such a sweet gamer husband! I wish one day he will be able to have the job that he loves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds like a great guy! Thanks for sharing about one of your biggest blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tribute to your husband:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing such a sweet and honorable post about your hubby! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet tribute to your man!! He sounds perfectly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great post about your husband. my DH often comes home to spend time with the kids and then goes back upstairs to work after they are in bed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you've got a good man, there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's SO cute that you were lab partners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Your DH sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can tell through his actions how much he cares for you and your little one. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story! I think it is so admirable that he makes time to be with his son (and wife) when he could be working. Sounds like he has his priorities in order.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm jessica, you stopped by my blog through SWAK, I though i'd jump over and read yours. What a dedicated hubby you have and a talented one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet story. Sounds like you have a very talented hubby! I always dream of being able to draw something... anything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a great post! I enjoyed it completely... it's amazing how God puts us with just the right person!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a bit late in visiting via the SWAK carnival, but what a great story!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com