October 6, 2008

Family Fall Favorites

I originally posted these recipes here on the blog back in October of 2008. These two remain my family's favorites as well as guests. I hope your family loves them as much as we do. I'm linking these up today to Kelly's Korner's Show Us Your Life.

Irish Stew
  • 1 C fat-free low-sodium chicken broth (I prefer to make my own)
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram leaves
  • 1 tsp dried parsley leaves
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 LB small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 LB lean lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes (beef can be substituted)
  • 8 oz frozen cut green beans
  • 2 small leeks, diced (or 4 stalks celery)
  • 1 1/2 C coarsely chopped carrots
Combine broth, marjoram, parsley, salt, garlic powder and pepper in crock pot and mix well.
Add potatoes, lamb, green beans, leeks and carrots (in that order).
Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.
6 servings


Beef Bourguignon
  • 3 LBS beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 C AP flour
  • 4 slices thick-sliced, hickory smoked bacon, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 8 small new red potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
  • 8 - 10 mushrooms, sliced
  • 20-24 pearl onions (can use 1 regular onion, coarsely chopped)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram leaves
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • black pepper to taste
  • 2 1/2 C Burgundy wine or beef broth
Coat beef with flour, shake off excess, and set aside.
Cook bacon in a large skillet until partially cooked. Add beef, cook until beef is browned. Remove beef and bacon from skillet and drain off excess fat.
Layer carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, salt, pepper, beef and bacon mixture and wine in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW 8-9 hours or until beef is tender.
Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
10-12 servings.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping me get the kitchen clean by letting me hear that song from Rent before I went back in there to do the dishes. I was so sleepy before, but now I feel happy and awake! I think I need to get some music on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yum!

    Also, cute new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm... I love anything with the words "crock pot" in it.


    Please do come by and visit me! Or, I've got my Organized Mess on Facebook now, will you "like" me?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com