March 25, 2008

Thrifty Tip - Making Stocks

I like to make a lot of soups, stews, and rice dishes that seem to always call for various stocks or broths. Once I learned how easy it is to make my own, I started doing so. Most recipes call for carrots, celery, etc. to be used. Rather than buy the vegetables I want to use in the stock just for the purpose of making the stock, I keep a bag in my freezer full of stock vegetables. In it, I toss the leafy parts of celery, lone celery stalks that are going to go to waste, carrot peelings (I wash carrots before I peel them), leftover onion, and anything else that I think might work well in the stock. Since the vegetables are just going to be boiled for a long time and then discarded, it doesn't really matter what form the vegetables are in. By keeping the vegetables in the freezer, I can make stock whenever I need it, or have chicken/beef/turkey that is suitable for use in the stock. After all, if I bought things when they weren't on sale just to make something like stock, I wouldn't be saving much money, now would I? ;)

2 comments:

  1. That is a great tip, Hea! I will definitely have to start doing that. I like your new header! Good job!! :) (this is Z)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and you better add me to your blogroll BEFORE I GET OFFENDED! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com