November 21, 2007

Songs I Have to Hear at Christmastime

  1. I Heard the Bells – Steven Curtis Chapman - I especially love the last verse
  2. Snoopy Vs. the Red Baron – The Royal Guardsmen - MUST hear this song, terribly disappointed the year I didn't hear it
  3. Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 – Tran-Siberian Orchestra - this song must be played as loud as the eardrums can allow. I also love the video
  4. Santa Baby – Madonna
  5. I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas – Gayla Peevey
  6. Mary, Did You Know? - Kenny Rogers with Wynonna Judd
  7. O Holy Night – Josh Groban - I do love the version that Josh introduced me to, but I feel as though this version is more appropriate for the season
  8. I'll be Home with Bells on – Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers
  9. Christmas to Christmas – Lee Greenwood
  10. Tennessee Christmas album – Amy Grant - this album could play on loop all year long, but I limit myself to Christmastime so it doesn't stop being special.
  11. Carol of the Bells – Kenny Rogers - I'm really not a Kenny Rogers fan, but I do love his version of this song
  12. Last Christmas – George Michael (Wham) - I don't know why, I think it might be because it's so stereotypically 80's.
  13. Christmas Portrait album – The Carpenters - I could also listen to this album all year long (but I don't).
  14. Chipmunk Song (Christmas don't be late) – The Chipmunks and David Seville
  15. Go Tell it on the Mountain – Frank Sinatra - wonderful version! Anyone who hasn't heard it needs to look it up.
  16. Little Drummer Boy – David Bowie and Bing Crosby - weird duet, but the song is beautiful.
  17. War is Over – John Lennon and Yoko Ono - I can't stand either of these people, and I don't approve of the song's meaning. Yet the radio plays the song over and over, and the song has come to be stuck in my brain as part of the season.
  18. Hurry Home for Christmas – Robert Goulet
  19. Calypso Noel – Johnny Mathis
  20. You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch – Thurl Ravenscroft
These songs have to be heard on the radio, because hearing it on a CD doesn't count. I have to catch the song playing, by chance, while I'm in my car. Isn't that weird? And look at some of the songs on this list! But somehow each song has come to represent Christmas. Years I don't hear some of these songs just don't feel right.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, one song I love and rarely ever hear is a song by First Call titled "An Evening in December." It would be especially poignant for this Christmas since it is the first without both my parents. Thanks for coming to Daniel's Christmas party. I hope y'all had a good time. Looks like Mr. Caleb did. Love, Miss Danna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com