August 8, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I've had this post in mind for at least 3 months, and I'm just now getting around to writing it out. Mostly because I've become flat-out lazy about posting, but also because I haven't quite known how to go about it. While I am devoted to homeschooling, DH and I have decided to enroll BB in a local church's half-day kindergarten for the upcoming school year.
The decision wasn't an easy one and it is not one that we are entering into lightly. We only plan for BB to be in school for this one year. Mostly to gain some much-needed socialization skills. I know that many homeschool parents feel that socialization is over-used as an excuse to place children in school. For the most part, I do agree. However, they are also not BB's parent.
Something that I have not mentioned on my blog before is that BB is autistic. You probably wouldn't immediately guess it upon first meeting him, unless you have had experience with such individuals before. BB is high-functioning, and is merely on the spectrum of autism. In other words, he comes across as quirky and precocious. He knows far more academically than most of his peers, yet is a year or more behind when it comes to interpersonal skills. The school has a small class size of 12 students, and the 3 hour school day should move quickly enough to prevent BB from becoming too bored academically or overwhelmed from social interaction.
There is also the fact that Baby Deux is due any day now. I don't quite trust my abilities to maintain a consistent homeschool schedule with an infant in the house (although I know many who have done so). During my postpartum with BB, I really struggled with depression, far beyond typical baby blues. In an attempt to avoid that this time around, I think placing BB's education in the hands of someone else temporarily is wise. I am already feeling conflicted about adding a sibling to BB's life; I do not need to feel as though I am failing him in his education as well.
I am sure that there will be drawbacks to placing BB in a school setting. While he will gain some much-needed interaction skills, he will also learn things I will wish he hadn't. There is no perfect solution. But this solution has what we believe to be the fewest drawbacks. Prayers for BB, his teacher, and his classmates are appreciated. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm WAY late on commenting here... but I want to tell you that I think you're making a great decision for your family - and one in the best interests of BB. You know his needs, and you know the potential pitfalls of having another baby - so don't feel guilty or sad about it. It's going to be fine. The experience will be great for you both.

    I also want to tell you that I can so remember feeling conflicted about things just before Tyler was born. It was sad and exciting to be bringing another baby home - and knowing that things would never be the same as they are today. I was sad that it wouldn't be just James and I anymore... but excited to see how life would grow and change with Tyler. They are just now starting to interact with each other - and it's beautiful to see. It will be great to see BB with this new baby - and I promise - your heart will burst with love watching it unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have certainly been pondering your decision for a long time, and pondering the post. Don't feel like you need to explain yourself to the blog world; right now, you may intend to send BB to school for just this one year, but next year it might be the best thing again. We have always approached our home schooling (since third and fifth grades) on a "year by year" basis..."Not sure what we'll do next year, but this year we're home schooling again!" Lo and behold, here we are with both of them in high school and we're still at home (and taking supplemental classes from a public co-op as well as college); I didn't think we'd go this far!

    I'll be praying for you...putting your family down in my prayer journal right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com