June 16, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: Shopping

My tip today is easy to do, but sometimes hard to remember: before you arrive at the checkout on a shopping trip, look over your cart. Are there several "wants" in there amongst the "needs?" Could you put one item back that you really don't need? Perhaps something that wasn't on sale, but you got it anyway?
I find that I often allow things to creep into my shopping cart if I'm shopping with my son, and/or I'm hungry. Sure, it's nice to have treats once in a while, but most of the time, the things that find themselves in my cart are pure junk. If my son is with me, I'll show him the things that crept into the cart and tell him to pick one item to take home. He's good about choosing, because he still gets one thing. And I don't wind up spending money on junk that serves no real purpose other than to make me fat(ter)!
Of course, this doesn't only have to be done with grocery shopping. Some stores are almost impossible to go in and out without buying more than I went in for. I find I do better at resisting things if I make a list and shop from my list. The list gives me something to focus on, so I don't find myself wandering around the store.
If you have a Thirty Thursday tip, join Kristin each Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Good tip. I forgot that my sister does that as well. It's a good idea to look back over and pick maybe just one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Heather. It is so easy to let the little things add up. Even just putting 1 thing back can save money! By the way, I love your new design.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com