August 17, 2009

A GREAT Prize!

I recently was fortunate enough to win a set of lowercase letters from Polliwog Learning Products on Etsy. I won my set courtesy of ABC and 123. [If you haven't checked out ABC and 123 before, I encourage you to do so. I have found it to be a great early learning resource].

Since Polliwog offers uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as numbers 0-10, I just had to order the rest so that I could have a complete set :)
Each character is die-cut out of sandpaper, and then firmly affixed to a piece of 1/4" birch plywood. You will notice in the picture that each character has a small dot. The dot shows the child where to begin to form each character. Young children can use their pointer finger to practice "writing" each letter and number, which helps to reinforce not only how that one is made, but also how it differs from other letters and numbers.
Sandpaper letters and numbers have been in use for many years among Montessori teachers as well as in primary classrooms. The rough texture of the sandpaper makes it especially effective for tactile learners. Each type of character is made out of a different color sandpaper, which gives an easy visual distinction for those just learning to identify the characters.
I am really looking forward to using these characters with BB. The wooden cards all seem very sturdy, and I can easily see these lasting long enough to be used by grandkids. Thanks again to ABC and 123 for the giveaway, and a special thanks to Polliwog. Be sure to check out the shop - the items are reasonably priced for such a high-quality handmade item. I think these would make a great present for an early elementary teacher.
*I was not paid for this review. I just happen to really like the product!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a very cool idea. Remind me of this when I need it someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be great for Cakes, who seems to destroy everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com