August 29, 2008

My New Living Room

Okay, so it's not really "new" - more like spruced-up. If you don't remember what my living room used to look like, here are some pictures. My dad and DH laid the wood flooring last Saturday. Since then, I've been arranging and crafting. The room still isn't 100% how I want it, but it's close enough. I wanted to have my photos in a logical order, but #&*!@ Blogger won't cooperate. So just do the best you can...
This is the corner between the kitchen and BB's room.
I made this sign to cover my ugly doorbell box. The sign is a lot longer than the box, but it's the right length for the wall. I used 2 halves of a box taped end-to-end and then covered it with black paper. The design is done in White-Out.
This lamp (and it's twin by the love seat), we clearance at Wal-Mart for $15. They were a little plain, so I added the gold cord and the black tulle. Hobby Lobby has a great fringe that I almost bought for the bottom of the lampshade, but it's $15. I might wait until I get a coupon and then add a the beaded fringe - what do you think? Would it be too much with the detailing on the lamppost right below the shade?
This is the wall on the other side of the kitchen doorway. The books on the left of the desk are actually fake. I'm using them to store miscellaneous paper, etc. I think I'll ask DH to switch his XBox 360 to the other side of the computer and place the books where his XBox currently is. We plan on getting a different monitor shortly, so you won't be able to see the hole for the wires at the back of the desk. As for the printer, I've had it for 9 years and it's still going strong. Ugly, but effective.

This is the view of the living room from the front doorway. You can actually see some of the floor in this picture!
The view from the kitchen doorway. The flowers on the table by the love seat aren't going to stay there - I need to find something tall to put on the table. I'm going to do more with the table cloth on that table, as soon as I figure out what. Maybe some coordinating cloth on top, and some fringe on the bottom?
The gold curtains were already there, but I added the red panels behind them, changed the curtain rod, and added the fringe and the thing in the middle. I'm not 100% thrilled with how the curtains turned out, but for my first attempt at decorating a window, I think I did pretty good.
Another view of the same area, from about where the computer is. I think I need to add something on the wall after the 3 pictures but before the corner, but I don't know. Would it be too much? You can't really tell from this pic, but the pictures are centered above the entertainment unit. As for the shelves on the entertainment unit, I'm going to add more books/knicknacks as I acquire them. I'm horrible at picking out knickknacks!
This book shelf is on the right of the couch, right next to the computer. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The picture of BB is sitting on top of the record player, not on the wall. I needed someplace to put it! I'd like for the shelves by the entertainment unit to look similar to this bookshelf - eventually.
A fairly good shot of the flooring. In case you're curious, it's Bruce flooring, and the color is Butterscotch.
Thanks for looking! Please feel free to answer the questions interspersed throughout this post. If you have any ideas about what else I can do, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I think it looks fantastic!

    And so clean!

    You should see my living room right now....

    Toys everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com