May 6, 2008

Thrifty Tip - Oven Cleaner

If you're like me, you probably don't clean your oven after every use. Frankly, after I finish cooking, eating and washing the dishes, I just don't want to do anything but veg out. Unfortunately, this means that the inside of my oven often has charred who-knows-what inside. The thought of oven cleaner scares me since I have a small one and oven cleaners have major fumes. So when I heard that you can reenact 6th grade science and use baking soda and vinegar to clean your oven, I decided to try it out. I sprinkled baking soda on the stains, put some vinegar in a spray bottle, and sprayed vinegar liberally on the baking soda. This caused the classic fizzy reaction, and since I was spraying the vinegar, I didn't have to worry about a large-scale volcano in my oven. The fizzy action loosened up the gunk, and I simply used an oven manufacturer-approved scrubber to clean up the gunk. I followed up by wiping out my oven with a wet cloth and – voila! - clean oven, no fumes. Of course, the best part is that baking soda and vinegar and way cheaper than oven cleaner, and I don't have to worry about BB accidentally ingesting them and being harmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com