March 21, 2010

A Making Do Re-do

Since our master bath renovation, I've been inspired to hurry up and do more to the rest of the house. Unfortunately, our budget says otherwise. So we've been doing renovations using what we have on hand.
Thanks to the very small size of our master bath (and the paneling that covers 2/3 of the walls), we had a lot of leftover paint from the master bath (Valspar's Desert Fortress). Since I knew I wanted a tan-colored neutral in my laundry room, it was pretty easy to decide what to do with the paint. Of course, it wouldn't be a "before and after" without a couple of befores:

And now for some afters:
Although you don't see it in the pictures, there is a shoe organizer directly under the coat rack. Both are from Target and I've had them since we lived at our old house.
I bought the sign above the coat rack for this project. It originally had a saying on it, but I painted over it with some craft paint. Upon reflection, I think the sign could use a bit more distressing.
The previous owners left the top cafe rod for the door. I bought the second rod and the cafe clips. I already owned the curtains on the door, which really aren't curtains but rather 2 frilly cloth napkins and a table runner.
At some point, we have plans to take the door off, sand it down, and restain.

All of these wall decorations I already owned. I initially looked for some laundry room wall art, but I wanted to make do with what I had. I used some album frames to frame pieces of an old apron pattern I found at a yard sale a few years back. and filled some containers I already had with various sewing notions. I'd like to find something taller to go in the larger box at some point. I did, however, buy the holder for the ironing board and a new cover for the ironing board.

The shelf above the washer and dryer is the shelf that used to be above the kitchen doorway in our old house. I did have to buy one additional bracket for the shelf to support the middle. I will redo the laundry room cabinets whenever we redo the kitchen cabinets.
All in all, we spent an estimated $50 for the project (I lost a Lowe's receipt). Not exactly free, but I think it's a lot of bang for the buck. At some point in the near future, we're going to replace the floor boards in both the laundry room and front hallway (upcoming post!) with a slightly shorter version of what we did in the master bathroom.


  1. That looks great! I love your washing instructions sign--you did a great job! Looking forward to seeing it in person. :)

  2. I like your idea of framing the patterns. Neat!


Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at