March 3, 2008

Monday Menu

In an attempt to have more variety in my meals, I'm going to try to post a menu plan on Mondays. Jenn at Frugal Upstate does this, and I thought it was a great idea. I'm in the process of cleaning out our freezer and pantry, so some of the recipes in the next few weeks might be a little odd. We just had to spend $800 on the car, which means it's time to cut down on eating out (which I love), and minimize the food bill.

Monday – rice and beans; I'm going to attempt to have one meatless dinner a week. The beans in this case are actually black-eyed peas, which are high in protein for their price. I seem to always have rice on hand, so I thought I'd put the two together and see how they turn out. I'm going to season it with a can of Rotel, and cook the peas with a piece of bacon that I had left over from a recipe that only called for ½ a package. No clue how it will taste, but a lot of things I make are like that. So far, I've only have a dozen or so “please, never again!” meals.

Tuesday – chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese. Ordinarily, I'd make the soup myself. But I'm trying to clean out my freezer and pantry, so this is going to be from a can that I have. BB loves grilled cheese, so that was a no-brainer.

Wednesday – vegetable spaghetti. I made this a few weeks ago and froze a portion for later.

Thursday – I have Bible study this evening, so it's either leftovers or fend for yourself.

Friday – grilled salmon, green beans, fruit salad, and some type of bread (from scratch). I hate the way fish stinks up the house when you make it. By having the fish on Friday, I can open up the house and air it out on Saturday when DH is home. I'm thinking about trying the beer bread recipe Jenn at Frugal Upstate posted a while back. We don't drink, so I'll have to buy a can of beer. But the recipe sounded so easy, I want to give it a try.

Saturday – my dad's birthday; I get to eat out!

Sunday – breakfast food. Growing up, we always had breakfast food on Sunday after church. DH grew up eating dinner on the grounds, so I have to compromise. But this Sunday it's my turn. :) I'll probably make pancakes, or eggs and biscuits. The last few pieces of bacon from that other recipe will go with this.

2 comments:

  1. We have beans and rice every Friday! Unless my 12 year old wants to pair the beans with cornbread instead. :) Good, nutritious, inexpensive. I'll try to remember to post the recipe my husband got from Alton Brown's "Good Eats" on the Food Channel, because these were truly beans worthy of tears when they were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops! I meant to open with something like...

    Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog with a comment so that I could find yours. I'll be back to read when I have some blog-jogging time. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com