January 5, 2009

A Useful Present

This Christmas, my MIL gave me a Black and Decker Power Scrubber as one of my gifts. For a while, I debated trying it out because I wasn't sure how abrasive it would be. I decided to test it out on my bathtub, which was way past due for cleaning. I typically use Scrubbing Bubbles Action Scrubber to clean my tub. The Action Scrubber gets my tub clean in no time, but I'm not crazy about using harsh chemicals to clean. I have read a lot about people cleaning with only baking soda and vinegar, so I decided to give it a try using the Power Scrubber. My previous attempt to clean my tub with just baking soda and vinegar had failed, and my tub had not been as dirty then.
The Power Scrubber runs on 4 AA batteries, which are included. There are various attachments, depending on what package you buy. My package came with a scour pad and a bristle brush. I started off with the scouring pad, but later switched to the bristle brush. The Power Scrubber makes slightly more noise than electric toothbrush. The scrubber naturally moves in a circular pattern due to the rotating motion of the scrubber.
I was pleasantly surprised with the Power Scrubber's effectiveness. I spent slightly longer cleaning my tub than I usually do when I use chemicals. However, this time I was able to get my tub just as clean using only baking soda and vinegar. To me, the trade off of a few minutes is worth not having to use harsh chemicals. I think that with a harsher cleaner the cleaning time would be pretty fast. I liked that I didn't have to worry about BB coming into the bathroom while I was cleaning, because my cleaning products weren't hazardous.
The scrubber got the soap scum off the sides of the tub with minimal effort on my part; I just had to hold onto the scrubber and move it to different areas as needed. I was able to clean the faucet and drain of my tub as well using the scrubber. Naturally, there is friction from the scrubber head, but I don't think that you would have to worry about it causing damage. I placed my hand against the scrubber while it was turned on and it wasn't forceful enough to cause discomfort. If you plan on using the scrubber for dishes, there is a special scrubber head for non-stick surfaces. The scrubber is fully submersible, so it can be used for a variety of projects. I know locally you can buy it at Target for $2o, and it is also available on Amazon.
For more Works for Me Wednesday, check out Rocks in my Dryer!

4 comments:

  1. Well-written review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks like something I need. :) I hate scrubbing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks interesting. I don't use chemicals either and need something to get into the grout. I wonder if that would do it?
    Blessings,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered how good they work! Thanks for sharing! I can't stand all the chemicals!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for caring enough to leave a comment! I typically don't respond to each separate comment here on my blog. If you would like to ask me a question and have my reply, please feel free to e-mail me at heathershodgepodge@hotmail.com